Monday, September 11, 2006

Jimmie Ira Holley

Jimmie Ira Holley, a 54 year old husband, father, and grandfather, went to work at the Pentagon that fall day as he did every day. A former Army veteran of Vietnam and a survivor of quadruple bypass surgery, he was a beloved figure in the hearts and minds of his family and friends. Like 2995 other people, he never came home. I don't know anything personally about Mr. Holley, since I didn't have the courage to disturb his family with my inept inquiries. All I have read about him can not compare, I'm sure, to the reality of him. But of course, I can never get to know the reality of him, because on one fall morning 2996 people, including Jimmie Ira Holley, were taken forever in a senseless act of terrorism.

I could talk to his wife, his daughter, his son, his granddaughter, but I wouldn't want to reopen wounds that are not mine to open. I don't want to intrude on memories that belong to him and his family alone. So I will leave this memorial brief and say only this.

Jimmie Ira Holley, I remember.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lord David said...

Well said! I cannot imagine how difficult it can be for the many families of those victims five years ago, to every year be pulled back into the media light. Why can it not be enough for the media to just say we remember, rather then intruding in the personal lives of these victims every year?

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home