Thursday, August 17, 2006

Judgemental Atheists!

I've just started hanging out at www.atheistparent.org/forum

As I read through that site, and posted here and there, it occurred to me that atheists can be just as closed minded and judgemental as christians. I guess logic should have led me to that conclusion before, since it seems like the majority of people are incapable of seeing past their own personal predjudices and beliefs. It always seems to take me off guard when someone can be so open minded in one aspect of their life, yet so totally myopic in another. For some reason there seems to be a sect of atheists who believe, not only that religion should not be forced upon them, but that atheism should be pushed on those who are religious.

They base it on the purely subjective assumption that atheism is the better way. Personally, I think both views are valid. Some people need to believe in a higher power, they need to believe in the notion of an afterlife. I don't fault them their need for that kind of belief. My mom was a drug addict for years and years. She's now clean, and a "born again" christian. She needs to believe in god because it's that belief that gives her the mental strength to beat her addiction one day at a time. I don't fault her. I, personally, think believing in a higher power is shirking personal responsibility for your actions and circumstance.

I consider religion, or the lack of religion, to be something that should be respected as personal choice. The only time I have a problem with christianity and religion is when followers try to shove their personal world views on me, and/or the rest of the country.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying participating in the forums at www.atheistparents.org/forums and I intend to hang around. There are some very intelligent, rational, people who post and I anticipate some great discussions in the future. By no means is closed-mindedness the standard on those forums, and I don't discourage anyone from joining up and participating.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lord David said...

Evangelizing Athiest...lol.

Not sure why I think thats funny, but I do...lol.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home