Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Trying to be healthier

I am trying to change little things in my life in an attempt to be healthier. While I would like to lose weight, that's not my primary goal. My primary goal is to feel better. I've had issues with arthritis, insomnia, depression, and more physical aches and pains than I can reasonably relate here. I'm 29 years old and I feel 50. I have to change something. However, I can't handle change all in one block, so I'm making one change at a time. Then, when I adjust to that change, I make another one.

So far I've cut out fast food at work (I sit at a desk all day), and added in "light" lunches. Sometimes it's salad, sometimes a sandwich, but I always include a yogurt so I feel like I'm getting dessert. I figure I've gotten my lunch to less than 500 calories, which is pretty good considering I have no inclination to eat breakfast. I don't actually count calories, as that feels too time intensive and constricting, but I'm definitely down from what I was intaking before. It's a pretty big cut in calories from eating Lasagna and garlic bread from Pasta Wagon, and a salad apple and yogurt.

A while back I shifted from regular Mountain Dew to Diet Mountain Dew. Now I'm phasing out Diet Mountain Dew altogether. I'm substituting water in it's place and am already up to drinking a 2.3 liter container of water every day during work hours. I figure my water consumption will go up even further now that I'm cutting out Mountain Dew after work as well.

I've already noticed that I feel better and more clear-headed during the day. I haven't weighed myself (I don't own a scale) but it seem as if I've lost a few pounds too!

Just to be clear, I love food. I am NOT on any kind of diet. I'm altering small things, letting myself adjust until it becomes the "normal" way of things, then changing another small thing. I won't restrict myself, count calories or follow some fad diet plan. I just want to feel healthier. That's my only goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home