Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Writing to write, or writing to be read?

I'm having trouble posting on a consistent basis, as anyone who actually bothers to stop by here has no doubt seen. I think it's because I'm writing to be heard, instead of writing just to write. The truth is, I love to write, but have trouble actually doing it. I have tons of ideas for novels, characters, situations, but when it comes to writing them down I freeze long before I finish.

I'm an evil self editor, bound and determined to make every sentence polished enough for publication before I even write it. The result is that nothing I write ever "sounds" good to me. By the time I've read it through a dozen or so times, I've decided that no one in their right mind is going to want to read it, and I usually get rid of it. I find myself doing the same thing with this blog. I write a few paragraphs, reread them until I've decided they're horrible, then delete and go on with my day. The result is, I feel like I've written something...but my blog goes unupdated.

Sorry folks, I'll try to do better!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lord David said...

I tend to think I am a bit too critical of what I write as well. I have found that its pretty natural, as we strive to create or write something in the most perfect sense to avoid others of thinking we are stupid. At least thats how I see it.

I have learned however, to accept that anything I write the first time around is going to be pretty crappy. The good news is that I have also learned to go back over what I have written and make changes here and there too make me feel a bit better about it. Usually this means that I write everything first on MS Word, save it, then come back to it later, and make the changes.

Works for me. I still think most of what I write to be quite bad, but I also receive some very positive feedback from others, so I call it a draw....lol.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home