Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Hero?

Wendesday mornings are pretty nice when you wake up thinking it's Tuesday. I haven't adjusted to this getting up earlier thing yet, but I'm getting there.

I'm sure everyone has read by now that crocodile hunter Steve Irwin died in a bizarre stingray incident. His death brings to mind what I've briefly touched on before, namely the tendency to brand people a hero after they've passed.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Crocodile Hunter and so did my kids. I'm also aware that Steve Irwin was a conservationist, and that he worked tirelessly for the Australian Zoo and other causes. But, a hero? He was an entertainer. Granted, he was an entertainer with a cause, but he was still an entertainer. Maybe my bar for hero is set higher than the norm, or maybe I just don't see the heroism in getting paid to do something. I'm not saying Steve Irwin wasn't a good guy, devoted to his family and to the causes he believed in, but there's a pretty big leap between good guy and hero.

There is nothing inately noble about dying. We all do it eventually!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lord David said...

I suppose everyone defines "hero" differently. I like to take it into the context of someone that is passionate about making a difference of some kind to the positive. In Irwin's case he was passionate about delivering his message of misunderstood creatures, due to their inherant danger...ie...Great Whites, various reptiles, tazmanian devils, and of course saltwater crocs.

You have to admire someone that wants to educate humanity on the creatures that we tend to loath because of our fear.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home